Tony Della-Porta - BSc(Hons), PhD, FASM, GAICD
Tony Della-Porta is an internationally renowned expert in biosecurity, biocontainment and biological safety.
After attaining his PhD qualifications in microbiology, Tony joined CSIRO's Division of Animal Health and was involved in commissioning the Australian Animal Health Laboratory (AAHL) high containment microbiology facilities in Geelong.
During his 30 years at AAHL, Tony became Deputy Head of Laboratory, retiring in 2003 from his position as Manager for Biosecurity, Information and Safety Services, to begin Bio2ic.
Tony has since used his expertise to provide consulting services world wide through his company Bio2ic.
In addition to Tony's employment, he has the following achievements to his name:
- Providing advice for design, construction and operation of Biocontainment laboratories in Australia, New Zealand, Malaysia, China, Thailand, Vietnam, Philippines and United Kingdom
- Adviser to the World Health Organisation on biosafety
- Member of investigation teams into the SARS-Coronavirus laboratory incidents in Singapore and Taiwan
- Running training courses on safe working at PC2 and PC3 levels for laboratory staff and on design, construction, operation and decontamination of Biocontainment facilities to architects, engineers, project managers and facility operators
- Consultant role in the drafting of the Security-sensitive Biological Agents Standard for the Department of Health and Ageing
- Honorary Senior Staff Member of Victorian Infectious Diseases Reference Laboratory
- Member of the International Veterinary Biosafety Working Group
- Foundation President of the Association for Biosafety of Australia and New Zealand (ABSANZ)